Sunday, December 27, 2009

Images of Inspiration

My two favorite gifts I received for Christmas are a camera and a book, Georgia O'Keeffe An American Perspective. I have been reading the book and I am falling in love with both Georgia and her work, what an amazing woman. I thought it was ironic that I got both the book and the camera at the same time since Georgia was basically discovered by the amazing photographer Alfred Stieglitz.

The image below is a painting by Georgia O'Keeffe of Ranchos Church No. 1 . Painted in New Mexico where she spent a part of almost every year until Stieglitz died. After his death she moved there permanently in 1949.


This image is one of more than 300 images Stieglitz made of O'Keeffe between 1917 and 1937. He continued photographing Georgia until he died. Both these amazing artists had the same sensibility and simplicity for what they found to be beautiful.

Can you see the similarity of the graceful lines and the amazing composition?

I am completely inspired. The image at the top of my post is the first I have taken with my new camera. This image is a reflection of who I am and the beauty I find around me. This is one of my pieces made of antique material from the 1920's, linen and felted fiber. I have moved the piece around several times in my bedroom and when I woke up this morning and saw what the light was doing. I was so moved by it's beauty.

Checkout the amazing work of both Georgia and Alfred and be inspired. I was.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Needle Woven Studio said...

I greatly enjoyed reading your post. The photo you took is just beautiful ~!~

December 27, 2009 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Bee's Hive said...

Thank you so much for being my first comment on my first post, which I feel is taking me down the path to a new enlightened view of who I am and how my work should look. Be true to how you see the world around you and in doing so you will be true to yourself and who you are.

Regards,
Bee

December 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home