Monday, November 16, 2009

Broaching My World

Shattered

The Hole Truth

Day Dream

Pussy in the Woods

Here is the first of a series of brooches I have designed using found objects.

I work in two studios, one, a small space I have in my bedroom and the other, a space I share with my husband. He has the downstairs and I have the upstairs. I love wandering around in his shop, finding objects that have fallen to the floor after he has ground a piece or has spun something wonderful on the lathe. I also pick pieces off the shelf which he has crammed with all sorts of amazing raw wood.

I so enjoy mixing the textures of different objects such as wood, felt, stone, coral, sand paper and fluffy yarn.The brooches incorporate objects around me, using pieces I find beautiful in nature that have fallen to the ground. When walking in a park or walking my dog I look at the most miniscule things that have fallen to the ground. I know these things I find are already dead but I see so much life still yet to be lived. What amazing textures and color some of these objects have.

Mixed media is the best way to express the world I live in. A world that is hard, soft, textured, layered and is forever changing. I like it that way.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite of the bunch is daydream...Lots of pop & softness brought together. Your brooches could go beautifully on hats as well, I think, they are very bold!!! Love them!!! Miss T in the ATL

November 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger Marta Represa said...

Those are so cool! I'm impressed.

Love from Paris.

November 30, 2009 at 6:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice story you got here. It would be great to read something more about this topic. The only thing that blog misses is some pictures of some devices.

Katherine Stepman
telephone zapper

October 12, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home