Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Giving thanks to nature


Ligma Blue Bracelet 









Hi everyone! I hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving. I had an interesting one since I spent it in Monticello, FL. I have never been and had lined up a couple of yarn store visits and a trip to an Alpaca farm. To my great happiness Really Knit Stuff yarn shop was having a 40% off sale on Saturday. The only catch was in order to receive the 40% sale price you had to be at the store at 7 a.m. As the day progressed the 40% was reduced to only 20%. Some women had bags and bags filled to the rim with yarn. I on the other hand went for the really innovative, funky stuff that normally cost way too much to buy. I was very selective because both you and I know during a sale like this the frenzy can really get you buying things that you will regret later. 

The trip to the Alpaca farm was so awesome. My sister in law had discovered a farm in the area and emailed me the info. I contacted Leslie Eckhart one of the farm owners of Alpacas Pure & Simple and asked if she had any wool for sale, she told me she had some and would be happy to sell it to me. It was raining so hard when we arrived at the farm and she was so kind to show us the Alpacas and talk to the entire family (10 of us total) about the process of growing and shearing these amazing animals for their fur. I have never met any of the animals that have come from the yarn I use and I treasure the opportunity to do so. Thank you Leslie!!

I had begun a bracelet before I left for my holiday and I took it with me to Monticello to work on during the relaxing moments sitting outside by the barn fire. I had Paul cut a disk out of lignum vitae wood, make a hole in the center and drill some random holes around the circumference. I crocheted the wood using natural fibers and wanted to recycle the dead wood and make it my own type of wood. I call it Ligma Blue Wood. I am liking the combination of hard and soft materials to create my own "natural" objects. I might work on another bracelet or maybe something even smaller, like a ring!

I'll love to hear your comments.
Keep Buzzy!  

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwh! Those critters are soooo cute! I never would have guessed that you'd find such animals products & sales out there-it was fate!!! Hope you guys all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, sure looks like it! Miss T in the ATL

December 3, 2008 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Rosetung said...

WOW! i had glimpsed this post a day or 2 ago, but today i read it. and now i have a million questions and thoughts!!! i don't know where to begin!
are the alpacas treating with tender loving care??? i'm so curious. i bet they are since you gave such a nice review of the place. but i get sad thinking that is not the case for all the animals everywhere that are shaved for our yarn.
did you get roving (rather than yarn)? what does it feel like? as soft as the yarn we find in stores? impurities? or maybe softer?? and of course, we are all wondering- what will you do with it?!
and, OHHH you're SO RIGHT about needing to be careful at a yarn store having such a generous sale! i'm the same way. i search for luxury yarn stores any town i visit. and i now write myself notes on what to look for/what i need before i enter a good yarn shop offering a big sale. haha!
i love that the wood is partly your hubby's doing. do you two think about more involved collaboration projects?
hmmm, i'm not normally like this. this is the longest blog comment i've ever left hehehe! but, what an exciting post!
xo, j

December 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Zany Style said...

Hey mommy........ ADD MORE SHTUFF! I see you right now working on something big....

December 12, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home