Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tibet Necklace


I had purchased the black carved plastic necklace part you see in the photo, in a shop in Sanibel Island here in Florida around two years ago, and I had stopped using it. The necklace was very cool when I bought it, but I realized I am wanting more of a longer necklaces than the one I had. I also want a softer more organic feel. So this morning before taking T to the bus stop I crocheted around the necklace and added some length also. So now I just have to put it around my neck without the use of a clasp. The material is from Tibet, a recycled silk from what is left on the floor after making high end robes for special events like weddings. It is spun into skeins for purchase. I love this material and I have found many ways of using it, in combination with wool or alone. Every skein is different, having more reds or purples or blues, really vibrate saturated colors. I have read plenty of knitters  complain that it's "impossible to use". I think crochet is the answer. This was a very small project, I was inspired because none of my necklaces where expressing the mood I was in. Let me know what you think.

Keep Buzzy... Bee 

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the fact that it is so freeflowing, as it ties in with the feel of the other pieces you have done. There is a fluid, relaxed feel to everything you work on, and I would love to see more jewelry pieces & accessories-how brooches, handbags and belts? I'd LOVE to see what twist you could bring to those...Is that really plastic? I never would have guessed from the photo..Too bad they don't make EVERYTHING with as much QUALITY work put into it...

September 20, 2008 at 9:21 PM  
Anonymous the RLA said...

Bee, nice work. I like the open spaces in your style. So much to see, no wonder we haven't heard from you. The RLA

September 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM  
Blogger Bee's Hive said...

Thank you both for such wonderful words. I would love to spend my days in the studio creating new and wonderful pieces. I have been thinking about making really different brooches, handbags and belts and even glasses. I have tons of sketches I want to make into reality. Believe me every minute I have I'm using to create. Stay tuned!
And keep Buzzy..Bee

September 23, 2008 at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home