Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Nature and Felt

I received an email from my friend Pam. She just got back home from the Midwest Felting Symposium in Madison, WI. She is an amazing felter, when I say amazing it's because she is very creative and tries to push her limits to create something different and wonderful. She said that most of the folks that attended the classes at the symposium where people that got into it because they had sheep and were spinners. She comments that she needed a class that will pull in the more "artsy part of felting". Believe me her technique and manipulation of the fiber is perfect. As she put it "it didn't quite fill my art gap in felting". She knows what she is talking about being a retired art teacher. I so understand what she is talking about. A good teacher is someone that challenges your limits and your view of what the limits are of the fiber. Felt to me is limitless, tribes have made felt homes to live in for centuries and this is just a small example of its durability and a good example of its water proof ability. I told Pam that I have been throwing around the idea of felting natural objects, like the seed pods I show in the image above. Imagine the seeds felted and slowly falling apart inside the felt. Would the shape change? Would the elements that make up the felt (sheep wool) keep the seed pods from changing? Who knows, has it ever been tried. Then after pods are felted they can be embroidered into or even needle felted or beaded. You see the possibilities are endless! This is the stuff that fuels my passion, untouched possibilities for a centuries old technique to create a new form of art.

By the way if anyone of you guys have a lotus seed pod (image in the center) just send it my way.
Keep Buzzy!

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

wow.... as usual, really cool stuff! How bout a new daily pic. It's been sunny there hasn't it?

August 6, 2008 at 10:25 AM  
Anonymous waywardinn said...

Cool pods. I wish I had a lotus pod, but I probably would not want to part with it. The leaves on the lotus are cool too. They're hydrophobic and I love to watch drops of water bead on the leaves and roll off in perfect liquid beads.

Could you explain a little about how felting is done? I don't know how you can felt pods. How does that work?

August 6, 2008 at 6:35 PM  
Anonymous waywardinn525 said...

Hi!!

Thanks for the links. I checked them out and bookmarked them. Fascinating stuff. It sent me off on two really fruitful tangent thoughts:

1. Can you felt with dog fur? I know, I know, it sounds icky, but I have a massive source of dog fur. I fill a vac bag full of fur everytime I vacuum. I'm thinking I could brush it off them every day and wash it and try felting it? Or send it to you?

And 2. You need to be singing a Waulking song while you are felting.

Check out this Waulking song (for tweed, but it should work for felting too)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14XyL_sK8-A&feature=related

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waulking_song

I highly recommend Capercaillie for Waulking songs. Paul might have that group on CD?

Now you'll have to explain what you plan to do with the pod. Work felt around it? I'd love to see how you do that.

August 8, 2008 at 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home