Monday, August 11, 2008

Felting Natural Objects, My First Try… Lignum vitae

Here you go Waywardinn525, here is a Lignum vitae that Paul and his sister salvaged in South Florida when they were children. Paul was turning a head piece for a tribal bench he was working on and one of the pieces that came off the large head piece was this beautiful shape. How can anyone let such a amazing natural object get thrown away? Well I didn't, I asked Paul to cut it into a curve, I sanded and polished the piece and took it with me to my felting class in Arrowmont School of Arts and Craft. This is a necklace which I have not yet finished. The Lignum vitae reacted in the most amazing way. It totally warped and arched, the process calls for the piece to be incased in wet wool fiber for a long period of time. I was kinda upset that it would stay bent, but to my surprise, as the felt dried the wood flattened back to it's original state. I guess I'm still in the experimental stage at this point. But can you imagine the endless possibilities?
Keep Buzzy!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an interesting shape-is it flexible or very rigid? I am scaired to ask where the Lignum vitae comes from..But the piece is very eclectic, very unusual. Miss T in ATL

August 12, 2008 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Bee's Hive said...

The piece is as hard as wood hehehe, because it is. Not flexible at all the wood goes back to it's original state of stiffness. Which is very stiff. It's not finished yet but it's a good example of two natural objects coming together in an unnatural way. Thanks for commenting!

August 12, 2008 at 5:38 PM  
Anonymous waywardinn525 said...

Very cool. I would not have suspected that Lignum vitae would warp like that when wet, what with all the oil in the wood.

Does it still smell like Lignum vitae?

August 13, 2008 at 6:20 AM  
Blogger Bee's Hive said...

Yes, the wood still smells like Lignum vitae! I was so upset when it warped, so I put it aside and went off to lunch. When I came back it was flat! It was discolored as if the felting process had sucked all the natural oil out of it. And again to my surprise it some how oiled it self back to health. It is so cool to see the process. I think I'll try to wrap a seed pod this weekend. Thanks for commenting. You haven't put any new entries on your blog, I do check it everyday. Well I guess your are "Keeping Buzzy".

August 13, 2008 at 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home