Friday, July 25, 2008

Crazy Crochet

Last night I started to crochet a scarf, in the most basic of patterns, but then I decided that I'm not one to follow patterns, I never have been. I had seen the most wonderful dress in VOGUE and thought how gutsy it was to have made this dress and even gutsier for VOGUE to call it high fashion. Hooray for nonconventional design. The trend of hand made items is getting bigger everyday, this is one thing that had to happen considering the saturation of technology in the last ten to twenty years. Ever since computers came into my life I have been longing for the moment I can use my hands to make and build touchable items. I left Parsons the year it became mandatory to take computer classes in order to graduate. I began working in editorial design and worked with paper and wax. I set type and made stats. The word rubylith had a meaning and value to my craft. I felt like Henri Matisse (in his later years) everyday creating layouts and designing covers. Now my craft is getting less and less tangible and textural, so YES I want to get back to my roots, but my way. I have never really paid much attention to textile and fiber artists but I am discovering a new world, a world filled with delicious colors and possibility.  

I don't know what this magenta crochet item will become, but I find that to be half the fun. Rodin once said that he is simply releasing the figure that is inside the stone. I like that school of thought and I like the path of discovery that goes along with it.

Keep buzzy!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger paul said...

Nice pics, and great comments by you. I learn something every time I come here!

July 25, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home